Monday, July 20, 2009

Prepare vs Plan: the no plan, plan.

Today I was talking to my oldest niece Amanda when she asked me when my boys would be joining her at the campground again. My two nieces have side-by-side seasonal campsites for the summer. I had planned to spend the summer with them at the campground but my plans changed due to some unforeseen circumstances that were out of my control. Initially I didn't think twice about the decision I had to make but after the reality set in I was very disappointed because I had really been looking forward to spending the summer at the beach with them. The past few months I have been able to make brief visits to the campsite to drop off my boys and was able to spend one night with my nieces but other than that, I have not had the opportunity to join them. When my niece asked me this morning when my boys would be joining her again at the campground I told her I would let her know later after I talked to my boys and found out what their plans were. My boys are teenagers so there are times when they have plans with their friends that I do not know about until the last minute. I asked my niece what her plans were for the week so that if I did decide to help get my boys ready for their weekly camping trip I would not be interrupting any of her plans. The words my niece spoke to me at that moment have stuck with me all day. She said, “I have no plans, I don’t plan, my plan is no plans.”

The reason that sticks out in my head so clearly right now is because I have been writing in my journal and on my blogs lately about the prospect of living for the moment and how letting go of trying to plan every detail of our lives can bring us more joy and peace then we ever imagined. Like my niece I have never really been a planner or a detail-oriented person but there are certain areas of my life that I struggle with wanting to plan out or control. It is in those areas of my life that I try to plan that I am the most discontent. It is a constant battle that I have spent countless hours over thinking and that over thinking has caused me to be more indecisive and stressed.



Today I have decided to adopt the “no plans, plan” that my dear niece Amanda so joyfully mentioned to me this morning. This is not a new concept for me just read some of my other blogs and you will find I have been in prayer over this for some time however today I had an ‘AHA’ moment over this very issue.
The best-laid plans can change in a heartbeat. The more I plan the more I feel I am chasing after something that is out of my reach. When plans fall apart, I often feel disappointed or discontent. I am finding that instead of planning maybe what God is really trying to teach me is to prepare.

To Plan: a scheme or method of acting, doing, proceeding, making, etc., developed in advance: battle plans.

To Prepare: to put in proper condition or readiness: to prepare for the future.



For I know the plans I have for you, “says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope. “JEREMIAH 29:11

God did not forget his people, He planned to give them a new beginning a new purpose--to turn them into new people. In times of deep trouble, it may appear as though God has forgotten you. But God may be preparing you, as he did the people of Judah, for a new beginning with him. HOLY BIBLE

Prepare me oh Lord
Help me to release and shed
The burden of my own plans
For Only you know what lies ahead
LJ