Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Finding peace -- The Joy experiment

I was out on a walk with my dog this morning when the phrase “joy experiment” popped into my head. The past few weeks I have been meditating on the following Bible Verse...

“Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”
1THIESSALONIANS 5:16-18


I don’t know why the idea of a joy experiment pooped into my head after a not at all joyful morning but it did and the longer I walked I started forgetting about my morning and thinking more of the concept of what would an experiment based on finding peace and joy regardless of our circumstances look like.

I started to think of why it is that some people are more joyful than others are. Why is it that I live my own life with a positive outlook while some people look at my life and think I should be an alcoholic or worse yet suicidal. Trust me there are days when reveling in self-pity crosses my mind but I have always had the ability to push it away because I wake up each day with new hope in my heart. I chalk that up to the Gods amazing grace. I do not know why I have been blessed with the ability to appreciate the little things in life but I am very thankful for what I have and I hope that never changes. I honestly believe that when I asked Jesus into my heart when I was just a little girl that he filled my spirit with an unwavering belief in him. He has given me a constant reminder of his love in the words in my bible that I have read more times then any other words anywhere…

There are three things that will endure--faith, hope and love--and the greatest of these is love. 1 CORINTHIANS 13:13

I have spoken those three words countless times, meditated on the truth of those three simple words and you can find those three words doodled on almost every book, notebook or scrap piece of paper in my possession. I can attribute my optimistic attitude to the fact that I believe in those words with all my heart. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of 1 CORINTHIANS 13:13.

I am not always happy with my life. I have days when I am grouchy, discontent and act like a spoiled child begging for my life to change so I can have my own way. I am human and I have my fair share of human weaknesses. I don’t claim to have all the answers or think I am better than anyone. I am weak yet I find strength through my weakness and my faith. Those who know me best know that I have been through some trials and detours and that I am not without fault. I am no saint. I have wandered on my own many times just to get a little life saving tug at my conscious telling me that I am moving in the wrong direction. Every day when I go about my business, I have to make choices just like anyone else and sometimes I make the wrong choice. Yet one thing that has stayed constant throughout my life is my faith that no matter what I go through the Lord is full of love, mercy and forgiveness and he will always be the stabilizing force in my life. He has given me the gift of life and although I am human and have made my fair share of mistakes, he still loves and forgives me.

The more I let go of self the more at peace I feel.

It is not about me
If it was, I would be free
I have to let it go
All sacrifice is hard I know
I have begged and prayed for change
Yet I am caught inside these chains
I was making plans to go it alone
But my life is not my own
The future I cannot see
It is not about me

Back to the experiment. When I was out walking today, I wondered how I could define the joy that I feel even when I have a bad day. I wondered how I could help my own children and loved ones let go of false roadblocks that may be stopping them from experiencing true joy. One way I am learning to rejoice is by letting go of ‘self’. By letting go of self and giving myself over to the Lord and letting him work through me I am learning to find peace and joy in my life that is greater than any worldly possession or pleasure here on earth. I find my treasure in the five Bible verses that have helped me through and I am going to pray that they will help you too.
The experiment is simple meditate these five simple truths over the next four weeks. Commit to living in the moment, love unconditionally, trust in the Lord, Pray and rejoice. Let me know how it turns out.


1. Future


Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the kingdom of God your primary concern. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today. Matthew 6:32-34

Have you ever wished you could know the future? Some people worry so much about tomorrow that they forget about today. The only thing sure about the next day, week, or month, or year is that it will be filled with new challenges, problems, struggles, and opportunities. That’s way Jesus said that each day has its own problems. Instead of worrying about the future or dreading it, we should concentrate on what we have to do today, making the most of each moment we have to live. That means seeing time as a valuable resource and using it wisely. It also means seeing friends and family as precious gifts from God and treating them right. God wants us to prepare for the future but to live for the moment. HOLY BIBLE NEW LIVING TRANSLATION

2. Love
This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 1 JOHN 4:10

Everyone talks about love. We want to be loved, to “fall in” love, and to find somebody to love. But if we want to know real love, we should check out God’s love for us. His love is unselfish, giving, and sacrificial. God is the source of real love. When we trust in Christ, God gives us the ability to love others his way. HOLY BIBLE NEW LIVING TRANSLATION

3. Trust
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

When the Bible says we are not to trust our own understanding, it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t use our own mind to think things through. God has given us the ability to reason, and he expects us to use that ability. The problem comes when we put an inflated view of ourselves because of our ability to solve problems. Sometimes, in fact we may try plans A though Z until finally in desperation, we ask God for help. Trusting in God Completely means that we go to him first, asking for his insight and guidance. Then he will want us to use our brain to devise our plans, but he will be in control. HOLY BIBLE NEW LIVING TRANSLATION

4. Worship

When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers-the moon and the stars you have set in place-what are mortals that you should thing of us, mere humans that you should care for us? PSHALM 8:3-4
This psalm declares the majesty of God. To respect God’s majesty fully, we must compare ourselves to greatness. But when we look at creation, we often feel small by comparison. That is a good way to get back to reality. It’s easy to feel big and important, but one long, nighttime look at the stars can cure that feeling of self-importance. God, the creator of all the heavens, the moon, and stars, is truly majestic and worthy of our praise, honor and worship.


5. Joy
Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1THIESSALONIANS 5:16-18

We might wonder how someone can rejoice or be joyful all the time, especially during painful or difficult experiences. But unlike happiness, which is based on circumstances, joy is a positive confident outlook on life, despite our circumstances. Knowing that God is in control and that his love surrounds us gives security and confidence. No Matter what happens, we should delight in God and praise him for his goodness.




I have prayed for peace and contentment
I have begged and pleaded for change
But then I let go and was still enough to hear the whispers of the spirit say
Stop chasing the wind
Put the past away
Plan for the future
But live for today
Faith, hope and Love to all!
Lori Johns